As you venture into the endeavor of owning horses, there are several tips that we would like to offer you for success. Staying on top of their health and wellness is only the tip of the iceberg. With our help and your dedication to your horse, it will live a long and happy life.
- When purchasing a horse, be sure to talk to its previous owners. You will pick up some great advice on your horse’s likes, dislikes and daily habits to maintain.
- If your horse stays in the stables most days they will need daily grooming, especially before going on a ride. If your horse spends its days on the pasture the natural oils in their coats will help them stay clean and dry.
- Exercise is incredibly important. This is how your horse stays in shape, make sure while you are out riding that they remain hydrated and have regular breaks.
- Your horses stall must be cleaned daily, perhaps several times daily. It is important to level out their bedding, remove any soiled areas as well as droppings.
- If your horse gets injured, be sure to tend to any injuries right away to decrease the risks of infection. For many punctures, abrasions, and lacerations it is best to have your horse checked out by your veterinarian just to be on the safe side.
- If you plan on riding your horse, be sure to buy the correct fitting tack. If you cannot find an appropriate size or one that doesn’t fit just right, get it custom fitted, you will regret it in the long run if you don’t.